Back when the Durban street names were being changed, a lot of (white) people were freaking out. Why is this necessary? Who are these people? It’s going to cost so much money… etc. etc. etc.
I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t even bother to look up the people whose names were now lining the streets of Durban.
Then I became curious.
Especially about the women.
And what I learnt was inspiring, devastating, fascinating and challenging. So here they are (so far):
- Adelaide Tambo Street, formerly Kensington Drive in Durban North.
- Lilian Ngoyi Road, formerly Windermere Road in Morningside.
- Dorothy Nyembe, formerly Gardiner Street in Durban CBD.
- Bertha Mkhize, formerly Victoria Street in Durban CBD.
- Helen Joseph, formerly Davenport Road in Glenwood